Wednesday, July 1, 2009

New Job

So, dear readers, it's time to break the news on my blog: I finally have a job for next year. I have just signed a 10-month contract with the Berkeley Repertory Theatre (I mailed it out yesterday), so it looks as though I'm about to become a resident of the California Republic. At this stage, I don't know much about the gig, other than I will be working at an internationally renowned LORT theatre, under one of the best master electricians in the business. Oh, and I'll be teching the world premier of Green Day's musical. Yeah that too...

It's really quite gratifying to find that, after four years of what sometimes seemed like fruitless labor as an undergraduate, I'm actually employable, and might just become a productive member of society after all. I'm also relieved that, at least until next June, I won't have to put my bar tending and coffee making skills to professional use. For that, I have a lot of people to thank, not the least of whom are my professors and co-workers at school, and from whom I learned a lot of lessons, both inside and outside of that theoretical realm we like to call academia. To be fair, quite a few of those lessons dealt with what not to do in the professional world, but still, those are good things to know as well. I also have to thank my parents for putting my broke ass through private school with a minimum of student loans – for someone who is trying to become a professional artist, that is incredibly important. Once again, I'm able to count myself among the successful – although lucky is probably more accurate – few theatre professionals who are able to go on doing what they love for the length of yet another contract. So raise your glass, pour one out for the homies, and keep them fingers crossed. Here's to new beginnings.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for having a plan for after the summer!

    Cheers!

    beth

    ReplyDelete