Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Oops...

So. I’m falling victim to one of my great fears about this blog – I have lapsed in my regular updates. As a follower of several blogs, I find it infuriating when those authors don’t entertain me on a regular basis, and for the one or two of you who read this, I’m trying not to do the same to you. I could make excuses – two shows in tech right now…15-hour work days…might have swine flu…relays last weekend – but it doesn’t change the fact. I won’t let it happen again.

As a sort of apology, I’m posting this story I wrote a few weeks ago, wherein I get made to look like a tool in front of one of my professors. Enjoy…

My friends make me look like a loser in front of my professor:
So the other night I was supposed to meet my friends at a restaurant and bar at 8pm. I got there about quarter after eight, because showing up on time is for squares. But much to my chagrin, my friends weren’t at the bar yet. Fine. I snag a table, order a beer and hang out. By myself. And then, what should happen, but one of my English professors walks in, notices me sitting alone, and comes over to chat. Not only did I have the misfortune to run into a current professor at a bar, he also felt bad enough for me that he came to my table to say hi out of pity. Just in case you were wondering, this was not the type of establishment where it’s acceptable to drown your sorrows alone on a Friday night. It’s the type of establishment where the microbrew I was drinking cost about twelve dollars.
This is the text message conversation that quickly ensued between me and one of the members of my party:

To: **** *********
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 8:27 PM
Matthew Avery
One of my professors is here. don’t leave me hanging.

To: 1414*******
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 8:27 PM
**** *********
We wont. We’re waiting on brit man

To: **** *********
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 8:28 PM
Matthew Avery
Good god i’ll have my first beer done by the time you get here. Tell her to hurry the fuck up.

To: **** *********
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 8:40 PM
Matthew Avery
Man fuck this. If you guys aren’t here in 10 i’m calling backup.

To: 1414*******
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 8:42 PM
**** *********
We’re pickin up brit. Be there quick.

To: **** *********
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 8:42 PM
Matthew Avery
Hell.

To: 1414*******
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 8:43 PM
**** *********
Seriosly [sic] less than two mins

To their credit, they did show up about two minutes later. But I think my professor had already left, presumably with the assumption that I was as much of a loser as I looked.

No comments:

Post a Comment