Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Air Travel

What’s up with all the plane crashes lately? I mean seriously – is there really anything inherently difficult about navigating several tons of aluminum and plastic a few miles above the earth? Come on – I’ve played Microsoft Flight Sim, I know what’s up. That shit is easy; all you have to do is push a couple buttons and then use the arrow keys to avoid crashing into a cemetery.

That may have been in poor taste.

I’m beginning to think that although my most recent scrape with air travel might not have been that bad after all. I mean, I had to pay for two hotels in one night (only one of which I stayed in, just in case you were wondering) but at least I didn’t end up in the Hudson.

Even the military is getting in on the action. It takes real skill to crash a state of the art $150 million fighter jet. That shit is intense.

When I die, there is going to be a special circle of hell reserved just for me. Knowing my luck I will die in a plane crash…karma is a fickle mistress.

***

In all seriousness though, is it that hard to get flights out with a modicum of timeliness (like all my travel happens within one calendar day) and not drive planes into stuff (like the ground)? Delta boasts a stunning 79% of flights on time*, which here in college, amounts to a big, fat C. If I only did my job right 79% of the time, I would not have a job anymore. Why is this shit tolerated?

*source: http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightRating/flightRatingByCarrier.do;jsessionid=98CA0807218325FF183FDB75D690A19F.ned:8009?airline=(DL)+Delta+Air+Lines&x=34&y=13

2 comments:

  1. Because guys like this make us hopeful...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivjybzdXVmI

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's fantastic. strangely enough, i've actually had very few problems with southewest. and yeah that would never happen on united.

    ReplyDelete