Monday, March 9, 2009

This Blog Is Ruining My Life

I’ve had this blog for approximately 2 days now, and it’s already becoming terrible for the actual essays I have to write. It turns out that I’d much rather write a blog post about pretty much anything, than write an paper about, say, Plato’s Republic as it relates to some obscure critical essay by G.E. Lessing. It’s hard as hell to be funny about Plato or Lessing. I mean, I guess it’s not really, but it’s hard to be funny and not fail my upper division English class that’s required for graduation…that’s what I meant. Because I’ll be damned if I’m going to stay for another semester to take another senior seminar in literary aesthetic – failure is not an option. I’ve already read enough Wordsworth to last a lifetime (that amount, in case you were counting, is somewhere in the region of 26 pages).

Not that the class isn’t sweet, because it is. But it’s turning me into a douchebag. The other day, I was that guy wearing huge sunglasses, a knit cap, and a Northface 550, carrying a cup of coffee for which I paid approximately $4.50 on my way to my lit theory class. I’m becoming what I hate…

2 comments:

  1. don't forget that cap was a northface one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't become what you hate. Sounds depressing. Keep your eyes out for the finer things. They're all around: Don't forget you're in Iowa, and, according to Kevin Costner, it's Heaven!

    ReplyDelete